Pattern Energy buys controlling interest wind project in Chile

Sponsored by

Pattern Energy Group Inc. announced the acquisition of AEI’s 38.5 percent net ownership interest in the El Arrayán Wind project.

The 115 MW, El Arrayán wind power project, which was completed earlier this month and is now fully operational, is located about 250 miles north of Santiago on the coast of Chile.

The transaction increases Pattern Energy’s ownership in El Arrayán Wind to 70 percent with Antofagasta Minerals SA (AMSA) owning the remaining 30 percent minority stake.

The acquisition:

• Adds 44 MW to the portfolio, bringing Pattern Energy’s owned capacity to 1,479 MW

• Increases ownership to a controlling stake and enhances the platform for future growth in Chile

• Accretive acquisition contributes to Pattern Energy’s target of 10-12 percent average annual growth in cash available for distribution (CAFD) per Class A share over the next three years

• Asset acquired at a 10-11x run rate CAFD multiple

Pattern Energy paid a $45.25 million purchase price to AEI from available cash on hand and assumed certain obligations, consisting principally of AEI’s proportional share of project debt. As of May 31, 2014, AEI’s proportional share of the $224.8 million non-recourse project debt was $87 million.

Pattern Energy operates the project, which sells about 70 percent of its output to Minera Los Pelambres through a long-term fixed-for-floating hedge. The project sells its remaining output into the Chilean spot market at the prevailing market price at the time of sale. In addition to its minority interest in the project, AMSA is the controlling party of Minera Los Pelambres.

El Arrayán connects to the Sistema Interconectado Central's 220 kV transmission system. The project is located on about 15,320 acres of coastal land on a long-term lease with a single landowner.

According to statistics from the International Energy Agency, the World Bank and the U.S. Energy Information Administration, compared to generation from a coal-fired power plant, the electricity produced annually by El Arrayán Wind will offset more than 300,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide, the equivalent to the annual carbon footprint of an estimated 70,000 Chileans, and will conserve enough water to meet the needs of more than 11,000 Chileans.

Sponsored by

Get All the Utility Products News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to Utility Products or email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now


October 2015
Volume 19, Issue 9

Utility Products Topics

Transmission & Distribution
                       Vehicles & Accessories
Tools & Supplies   Safety
Line Construction & Maintenance   Test & Measurement

How to deploy mobile forms + devices to speed up field service processes & reporting

Overcoming the pain points associated with any process is much simpler and more cost effective than you think. This webinar will detail the benefits of switching to mobile forms for field data collection and reporting.
We'll examine real use cases and ROI of integrating mobile forms within a given field service process, including for work orders, inspections, checklists and proposals.
A quick AT&T Mobile Forms demo will reveal the feature rich, user-friendly nature of the solution. You'll see why it’s a must-deploy to speed up data collection, eliminate invoicing/data entry lags and auto-generate/deliver insightful reports.



Industry Company Pages

Keep up-to-date with the latest news and articles from some of the prominent utility product companies and resources.


Everlast Substation signs

Everlast safety signs and Everlast Substation signs meet all ANSI and OSHA requirements and continue to be readable for the life of the substation. When most signs fail ours shine.

Everlast pole tags

Everlast pole tags for distribution poles have been used all over the world in this great earth's worst environment's proving it is the longest lasting product to use on pole's!

Swage Bus Accessories

Swage Bus Accessories use a compression technology process called "swaging" that enables installation of aluminum bus accessories without the need of a welder.