Scotland approves 100 MW offshore wind energy test bed

The facility, to include 11 wind turbines and their connecting cables, will allow offshore wind energy developers and firms from the supply chain to test wind energy technology in a real environment

Scotland gave its approval to a 100 MW offshore wind turbine deployment center off the Aberdeenshire coast proposed by Swedish utility Vattenfall and Aberdeen Renewable Energy Group, according the Scottish government.

The facility, to include 11 wind turbines and their connecting cables, will allow offshore wind energy developers and firms from the supply chain to test wind energy technology in a real environment.

The project consent includes a number of conditions to limit the European Offshore Wind Deployment Center's impact, including radar mitigation schemes, navigation safety and construction noise management plans and other measures.

Project developer Aberdeen Offshore Wind Farm Ltd is 75 percent owned by Vattenfall Wind Power, while the remaining 25 percent are in the hands of Aberdeen Renewable. To proceed with the EOWDC, the company also needs the approval of Aberdeenshire Council for the construction of a substation at Blackdog. An application for a marine license, also needed for the development, is currently under consideration.

The EOWDC project is financed in part with a European Union grant under the Economic Recovery Program in the field of energy.

More in Home