Wood utility poles: Osmose Utilities Services Inc. has released version 5.0 of O-Calc Pro®, its industry-leading structural analysis software for utility poles. This latest version of O-Calc Pro features a number of enhancements designed to allow users to more quickly and accurately perform comprehensive pole loading calculations related to joint use, equipment or line upgrades, system hardening, and pole replacement.
In addition to the full array of wood poles that can be modeled in O-Calc Pro, the software now allows users to directly model manufactured steel poles (rounded and multi-sided), concrete poles, composite poles, and multi-pole structures such as H-frames. Pole components such as steel and fiberglass crossarms and steel cross and v-braces can also be fully modeled. “Utilities continue to use an increasing number of non-wood poles so it’s imperative that software evolves to allow users to accurately model these poles. We are constantly striving to improve the value of the O-Calc Pro system and our services by listening and responding promptly to our utility, telecommunications, and engineering customers” said Mike Rigney, Product Manager at Osmose Utilities Services, Inc.
Other new features of O-Calc Pro 5.0 include an interactive heat map display that allows users to quickly identify overloaded sections of the pole, multiple master and user catalogs that enable users to store and easily reuse assemblies for faster modeling, and integration with GE MapSightTM from ikeGPS that allows users to load MapSight images into O-Calc Pro’s Digital Measurement Technology (DMT – image-based measurement tool) to quickly obtain attachment heights, wire diameters, and other measurements directly from the image.
O-Calc Pro® 5.0 features a number of enhancements designed to allow users to more quickly and accurately perform comprehensive pole loading calculations related to joint use, equipment or line upgrades, system hardening, and pole replacement.
New features of O-Calc Pro 5.0 include:
· Modeling of Additional Structure Types - In addition to the full array of wood poles that can be modeled in O-Calc Pro, the software now allows users to directly model manufactured steel poles (rounded and multi-sided), concrete poles, composite poles, and multi-pole structures such as H-frames. Pole components such as steel and fiberglass crossarms and steel cross and v-braces can also be fully modeled.
· Heat Map Display – This color-coded display enables users to quickly see the sections of the structure that are overstressed. The interactive Heat Map window allows the user to rotate and zoom in on the structure. Additional information such as moment and load details about each segment or element of the structure can be obtained by hovering over the section/element. The Heat Map image can easily be incorporated into a structure loading report.
· Multiple Master and User Catalogs – Numerous master and user catalogs can be defined. Each catalog can be managed and maintained separately and stored anywhere on the user’s network, allowing organizations to easily distribute catalogs to various users. The software includes a number of pre-defined catalogs including steel poles from various manufacturers, full AISC and CISC steel member catalogs, and a catalog of Osmoses’ C-Truss®, C2-Truss, and ET-Truss.
· Improved Integration with Windows Operating System – Users can easily “drag and drop” components back and forth between the application and network/desktop locations, making it even easier to share information. This includes fully-modeled poles, full or partial catalogs, assemblies, and other objects from a desktop, network location, or email.
· Segmented Pole Analysis – Pre-manufactured steel poles with slip-joints or flanges can be modeled, including analysis of the gusset and flange or slop-joint.
· Integration with ikeGPS MapSightTM – O-Calc Pro’s Digital Measurement Technology (DMT) process is an image-based measurement tool that enables users to make attachment height, wire diameter, and other measurement directly from digital images. The DMT process has been enhanced to work seamlessly with digital images shot from GE MapSight device by ikeGPS. A MapSight digital image, with its laser distance and inclination measurements, can be dragged and dropped into O-Calc Pro DMT measurement tool, and attachment heights measurements can be applied directly to the O-Calc Pro pole model.
About Osmose Utilities Services, Inc.
Osmose provides inspection, life extension and rehabilitation services and products designed to help build resiliency into T&D infrastructure. Osmose also provides corrosion mitigation and engineered repairs for steel structures, structural load analysis, and a variety of turnkey infrastructure enhancement and upgrade solutions. With 80 years of diverse experience as a foundation, Osmose proudly serves America’s utilities as they manage aging infrastructure and build tomorrow’s intelligent utility.