Utility safety: Schneider Electric top weather forecasting service, eight years running
Energy management: For the eighth straight year, Schneider Electric has topped its competitors as the most accurate provider of precipitation and short-term temperature forecasts.
Power management: For the eighth straight year, Schneider Electric has topped its competitors as the most accurate provider of precipitation and short-term temperature forecasts. The honor is awarded by ForecastWatch.com, a leading analyst of predictions and outcomes in the weather industry.
The study, based on the weather conditions forecast 24 hours a day over 12 months, found Schneider Electric leads other top forecasting platforms in all three primary performance measures:
• Schneider Electric had the lowest root-mean-squared error (RMS) for the eighth year in a row
• The most accurate probability of precipitation forecasts
• The greatest improvement in accuracy of short-term temperature forecasts over eight years, a 12.5 percent increase. Schneider Electric was one of only two providers to improve accuracy over the last year
A critical service for the energy industry
Forecasting accuracy is vital to the health and efficiency of many industries, possibly none more so than the energy utility sector. Especially in an industry where climate change and renewable energy are having tremendous impacts, accurate weather forecasts are needed 24/7 to keep power flowing safely:
• Weather forecasts are the main driver of electric and gas utilities’ load forecasting, which is used for generation and purchasing decisions
• More solar and wind generation on the grid means weather impacts not just load on the grid, but also generation capacity
• Accurate forecasting allows electric utilities to better predict and plan for outages, saving time and resources when restoring power
Schneider Electric aims to continually innovate and advance its top-rated forecasts. Current advancements are improving both short- and long-term forecasts, up to 15 days in advance. These improvements ensure that customers receive the most accurate forecasts in the industry to make critical business decisions.
For more information about Schneider Electric or other products, click here to go to Utility Products’ Buyers Guide.