ABB showcases digital grid solutions at DistribuTECH 2018
New ABB Ability based digital technologies centered around asset management, DERMS, microgrids and communications networks
ABB will present leading-edge grid technologies at DistribuTECH, the leading annual electric power transmission and distribution conference and exhibition event being held in San Antonio, Texas.
ABB’s extensive exhibition (booth #1809) will showcase some of its latest technology innovations, focusing in particular on “enabling a digital grid” as part of the new ABB Ability platform, which brings together all of ABB’s digital products and services, connecting its customers to the internet of things. ABB experts will also present four papers and chair five technical sessions at the event. For a complete list of conference sessions and times, please click here.
Among its new offerings and product enhancements are several recent ABB developments:
· Global launch of its new ABB Ability Ellipse software solution delivering a cross-enterprise approach to connected asset lifecycle management to help utilities maximize asset performance and fast track their digitalization journey. The comprehensive solution will enable electric power utilities to optimize asset utilization, drive down maintenance costs and reduce equipment failures and system outages.
· Interoperable wireless field area communication networks – ABB will introduce the TropOS 2420, a dual-radio broadband wireless mesh router for DIN-rail mounting that increases performance and enhances reliability compared to single-radio mesh routers.
· Thomas & Betts switchgear – ABB is exhibiting the T&B Elastimold switchgear, the industry’s first completely solid dielectric line that includes padmount and vault-mount models. Small-vault switchgear can be safely operated outside of power-distribution vaults with an insulated fiberglass hot stick. Other products include reclosers that incorporate vacuum-interrupter technology.
· Overhead, Underground and Substation applications – ABB’s exhibit will also include Thomas & Betts products used in overhead applications, including Joslyn Hi-Voltage VerSaVec 15-38kV capacitor switches and Blackburn overhead connectors. For underground applications, the exhibit will feature Elastimold underground cable accessories, including the recently launched shear bolt. Products for substation applications will include Homac substation connectors and Blackburn compression, mechanical and exothermic connectors.
· Solar Inverter Demo – ABB will showcase one of the widest portfolios of solar inverters, from small micro-inverters and three-phase string inverters up to megawatt-sized central inverters. ABB’s cloud based solution monitors over 100,000 consumer inverters around the world. ABB global solar experts will unveil these inverters, designed for distribution feeder networks.
“No other T&D solutions provider can offer the shear breadth of integrated digital solutions, systems expertise, equipment, software and communications technology than ABB does through our ABB Ability-based digital platform,” said Gary Rackliffe, ABB vice president for smart grids, North America. ”We are pleased to once again have a major presence at DistribuTECH, and we’re eager to talk to utilities as they look at what a digital grid looks like around distributed energy resources, asset health and smart grid resiliency issues.”
DistribuTECH 2018 runs from Jan. 23-25 in San Antonio at the Henry B. Gonzales Convention Center, and ABB will be exhibiting in booth #1809.