Glacial Energy launches electric service in Detroit Edison, Consumers Energy territories
Michigan residential electric customers now have the opportunity to switch to Glacial Energy and potentially enjoy greater savings
St. Claire Shores, Mich., April 10, 2012 — Michigan-based Glacial Energy launched a retail electricity program targeting residential customers in the Detroit Edison and Consumers Energy service territories.
Michigan residential electric customers now have the opportunity to switch to Glacial Energy and potentially enjoy greater savings. As a way of saying thanks for switching, the first 5,000 residential customers that sign-up and switch will receive their first month of electricity free once they become Glacial Energy customers.
Once a customer makes the switch, they do not become a Glacial Energy customer immediately. Under Public Act 286, only 10 percent of the electricity generated is available to the Electric Choice Program.
This "CAP" applies to both Consumers Energy and Detroit Edison independently. This means 90 percent of all electric customers, which include residential and commercial, buy their power from either Consumers or Detroit Edison while the other 10 percent are able to take advantage of being a customer of an AES.
Recently, legislation has been filed that would raise the CAP and allow more of the utility's customers to participate in their Electric Choice Program. If the CAP is raised, residential customers who sign up could get their electric supply from Glacial Energy.
Based on a household's current energy needs, Glacial Energy offers options that best provide for planning and potential cost savings. While individual savings vary, homeowners may potentially save compared to rates being charged by their electric utility.