JCP&L makes new installations on underground electric network
The new switches, weighing about 500 pounds each, will improve service reliability in the downtown area by using the latest enhanced technology to redirect power in the area should outages occur
Morristown, N.J., May 2, 2012 — Jersey Central Power & Light completed the installation of two new electrical switches in the Morristown underground network on Saturday, April 28, 2012.
The new switches, weighing about 500 pounds each, will improve service reliability in the downtown area by using the latest enhanced technology to redirect power in the area should outages occur.
Earlier this year, JCP&L started work on several infrastructure projects on the network. In addition to the two switch replacements, since February the company has:
* Sampled oil in the electrical underground network transformers and completed preventative maintenance on circuit breakers
* Completed adding special animal guards on four circuits at the Morristown substation to prevent animal-related outages
* Completed additional training for employees on electrical vault inspections and data collection to support effective preventative maintenance
* Completed electrical safety training on the underground network for Morristown firefighters
* Installed a similar electrical switch in the underground network
Work will also begin this week to upgrade relays at the Morristown substation to reduce the length of any future power outages.
JCP&L is a unit of FirstEnergy Corp. JCP&L serves 1.1 million New Jersey customers in the counties of Burlington, Essex, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Ocean, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union and Warren.