Truck accessories: Integrated powertrain solutions for trucks
Work trucks: Power management company Eaton announced that Volvo Trucks will offer the SmartAdvantage Powertrain in all VNL Series models to maximize fuel efficiency in linehaul and regional haul applications.
Truck accessory: Power management company Eaton announced that Volvo Trucks will offer the SmartAdvantage Powertrain in all VNL Series models to maximize fuel efficiency in linehaul and regional haul applications. In addition to lighter weight and increasing the driver pool with smooth, automated shifting, this powertrain is designed to enhance the time spent in a diesel engine’s most efficient RPM zone helping to reduce fuel consumption.
“Partnering with North American truck manufacturers to deliver integrated powertrain solutions is a key part of Eaton’s strategy,” said Tim Sinden, president – North American Truck Operations. “Eaton has a long history of providing our fleet customers with enhanced, optimized powertrain choices, and we believe this new offering for Volvo’s VNL Series will be well received by the marketplace and professional drivers.”
The SmartAdvantage Powertrain for Volvo combines a Fuller Advantage Series Automated Transmission with the Cummins ISX15 engine with SmartTorque2. This package has been embraced by customers since its launch last year while receiving industry accolades as a top new product. Delivering fuel economy improvements between 3 and 6 percent, more than 80 customers have taken delivery of trucks with the SmartAdvantage Powertrain or have orders pending, with many confirming that their expectations in fuel economy improvements have been met or exceeded under real-world operating conditions.
“Volvo Trucks is continuously looking for fuel efficient solutions for our customers,” said Wade Long, director, product marketing, Volvo Trucks. “The SmartAdvantage is one opportunity in the Volvo product offering to allow customers to ‘downspeed’. Downspeeding provides additional fuel savings for every 100 RPM we can reduce engine speed.”
A new Precision Lubrication system represents one of the most important upgrades in the Fuller Advantage Series. The system reduces the oil churn energy losses found in traditional transmissions by nearly 33 percent. With less heat being generated, the Fuller Advantage Series transmissions do not require a cooler and corresponding lines and fittings. The result is less preventative maintenance is required while engine fans cycle less, further reducing horsepower demand.
In addition, small-step technology enables downspeeding in overdrive and efficiency in direct drive. Optimized shifting is based on grade, vehicle weight, engine torque and throttle position.
Significant weight savings – up to 82 pounds with no sacrifice to strength – has also been achieved with the new Fuller Advantage Series transmissions. A thin-wall cast-iron main case design is complemented by the strategic use of aluminum for the shift bar housing, auxiliary section cover and range cylinder. All Fuller Advantage Series transmissions have a standard warranty of 5-years/750,000 miles. The Advantage Series clutch is warranted for 3 years/350,000 miles (563,270 km). Extended protection plans are also available.
Additional Fuller Advantage Series Automated features include:
• Error-free, automated shifting due to the use of an Electronic Clutch Actuator (ECA) which offers unprecedented performance, including gradeability and low-speed maneuverability
• Auto Neutral automatically switches into neutral once the parking brake is engaged to prevent potential movement
• Hill Start Aid which prevents roll back or roll forward. When grade exceeds 3 percent, foundation brakes hold truck for up to three seconds for a controlled launch
• Extended oil drain interval - 500,000 miles before the first scheduled transmission oil drain service, for linehaul applications rated at 80,000 lbs. or less.
• Oil level sight glass for reduced preventative maintenance downtime
• Standard eight- and six-bolt Power Take-Off (PTO) openings.
• Ten forward speeds and two reverse.
• Gross Combination Weight (GCW) ratings up to 80,000 lbs. (36,287 kg.); 110,000 lbs. (49895 kg.) pending.
• Torque capacities from 1150 (1559 Nm) to 1,850 lb./ft. (2508Nm).
All Eaton products are backed by the Roadranger network, which includes more than 200 drivetrain professionals throughout North America.